Convert WordPress Site to Android Application
WHAT IS WORDPRESS REST API AND WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF REST?
WordPress REST API is a set of instructions used to access your WordPress website from outside of the WordPress installation which you can use to convert WordPress website to android application or any other platform application. WordPress REST API allows you to access the WordPress site resources like pages, posts, etc from your mobile application.
APIs act as a mediator between Resources (database) and user (UI). API fetches data from the database and shows it to the user.
REST stands for Representational State Transfer. REST is a architectural style for an API and an application is RESTful only if it stands on these 5 principles:
1) Uniform interface : Application must have a uniform interface between components so that there is a standard form for the transfer of information.
2) Client-server : There has to be client-server and resourcer involved and the requests should be sent over HTTP.
3) Stateless : This means that no user (client) data is stored on the server between 2 GET requests and every request is independent of each other.
4) Cacheable : The data should be cacheable so that client-server interactions are streamlined.
5) Layered system : This is to ensure the entire system is secure, load, balanced and that the entire system is not visible to the client.
WordPress REST API lets you to interact with WordPress from outside of WordPress, be it a mobile application or desktop application.In brief, we can say that a third-party website or a mobile app can access your WordPress database and perform operations such as fetching data from it and adding data to wp database. WordPress REST api changed WordPress from CMS to an application platform.
REST API provides functions that will allow you to fetch data from WordPress sites onto your mobile application.
CONVERT WORDPRESS WEBSITE TO ANDROID APP
1) Related Topic – Build a mobile app with WordPress REST APIs, How to make more out of WordPress Rest API by doing less
If you have a WordPress website for your company and now you want to have a mobile (android/iOS) app so that your customers would be able to choose between your website or mobile application so that your users will be able to have a seamless experience. Research shows that 51% of users search for products online, so if you create a mobile application for your website, you will definitely get an edge over your competitors.
2) WordPress data fetch for displaying on mobile application: With WordPress REST API you can fetch posts, pages from your wp website to display on your mobile (android/iOS) application with various authentication options present in our plugin. If you want to login into WordPress site on your mobile app, you can use the WordPress username/password and access the wp database easily by rest api login which will authenticate the credentials before giving access to the database.
3) User Register sync: If a user registers on the mobile application of your WordPress site, he will be eligible to login on your WordPress website also and vice versa. The data generated on your WordPress site or mobile app will remain synchronized. So the integrity and consistency of your site’s data is maintained without any compromise on security.
4) Syncing and Securing data flow from third party plugins on your website: If your website is using third party plugins like Woocommerce, Learndash, Buddypress, Gravity forms etc, that data can also be synced between your mobile and WordPress application with our secure and protected authentication methods making sure nothing is compromised.
5) Login into mobile app using WordPress credentials: With the help of our Rest API Authentication plugin’s WordPress login API, you can authenticate/validate your user login into mobile application. Suppose you have a WordPress site and you have now created a mobile app (android/iOS) which has a user login for where user puts in his username/password, REST API will allow you to authenticate the user by checking the credentials on WordPress database and send a successful message on validation and show an error if the credentials are invalid.
6) Woocommerce site into mobile app: If you have a WooCommerce site and now you want to create an android app for the same store so that same products list, user details are accessed and maintained, so Rest API will allow you to authenticate Woocommerce API on mobile application and synchronize your inventory between mobile and WordPress installation. It can also keep track of user carts across devices. Let’s say you have a woocommerce site built on WordPress where you have all your products listed and you want to create a mobile (android/iOS) application from where your users can login and order products as listed on your woocommerce site, REST api will allow you to synchronize and share data between your WordPress site and mobile app. You will be able to access your woocommerce rest api in your mobile application and you also will be able to login into it with WordPress credentials.
7) LearnDash : Learndash is a blessing if you have to impart e-learning in universities, small to midsize companies, startups, etc. REST API allows you to secure / protect your access to Learndash user profiles, courses, groups & many more APIs across WordPress installation and android application. If you have a learndash site on WordPress and you want your courses to be accessible on your mobile (android/iOS) application, you can use REST API to fetch and synchronize data with your WordPress database.
8) Webview access on mobile: If you have a website on WordPress and you want to create an application for mobile device which will access the same resources as your WordPress site, you can use WordPress api to access the wp site on mobile phone with webview. It means you will have a mobile app for your WordPress site using WordPress rest API.
9) Custom API Endpoints in the WordPress REST API: Suppose you want to access custom data on your WordPress site on your mobile application, so we have a plugin “Custom API for WordPress” which can allow you to define your custom endpoints /REST api routes and also it has easy-to-use graphical interface where you can put custom SQL queries as well.
IS REST API SECURE?
By default WordPress endpoints are insecure. Hackers can easily send requests to your WordPress API and get access to your Posts, Post, Revisions, Categories, Tags etc, and can perform CRUD operations easily on your website. The default REST api connection is not encrypted and can be easily viewed in JSON format. REST api is a door to a lot of opportunities but if left unattended and insecure, then this door of opportunities will turn into a disaster for your website and user data. So by adding our WordPress REST API AUTHENTICATION to your WordPress/ woocommerce website your endpoints won’t be unprotected. Our plugin will let you set various API authentication methods according to your needs and requirements.
Letting a client application (android mobile application) to manipulate data on your data resource by allowing access through API is secure with our WordPress REST API AUTHENTICATION plugin allows you to make calls to your WordPress site from android mobile application without compromising the security of your website. Our plugin will make sure that only authenticated users are allowed to access your site data and will protect your WordPress database throughout. We have various authentication methods in our plugin to make sure that your WordPress website is protected and secure.
REST API AUTHENTICATION BEST PRACTICES.
This is basic authentication method to protect your WordPress endpoints by following methods:
Username:Password : This method for Basic Authentication authenticates the REST APIs by using username and passwords in the authorization header with the form of base64 encoded or with highly secure HMAC encryption.
Client-ID:Client-Secret : This method for Basic Authentication authenticates/protects the REST APIs by using client credentials provided by the plugin in the authorization header with the form of base64 encoded or highly secure HMAC encryption.
It allows you to secure WordPress endpoints without exposing user credentials as the plugin generates an API key for accessing any resource which can also be regenerated in the plugin UI.
WordPress REST API Authentication itself issues the JWT token and works as an API Authenticator to protect your REST APIs. The plugin itself provides the REST API endpoint through which you can generate the JWT token very easily by passing the valid WordPress user credentials.
If you don’t have a third-party identity provider, then in this case WordPress REST API Authentication works as both OAuth Server(Provider) and API Authenticator to protect your REST APIs. It is the most secure method to authenticate the WordPress REST API endpoints.
* Password Grant : If you want to fetch user specific content from the database then this method is useful. * Client Credentials Grant: This method uses the OAuth 2.0 protocol with Client Credentials grant to authenticate the WP REST API endpoints to use services which call APIs without users.
if you are already using an external OAuth/OpenID Connect (Identity provider) which provides you with an access token/id token or a JWT token, then that token can be used to authenticate the WordPress REST APIs and the plugin will validate the token directly from these token providers and only on successful validation, API endpoints are allowed to access.