OpenVPN is VPN software and protocol which use both the VPN techniques to provide security to site-to-site connections. Also, it secure point-to-point connection. You can enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for your OpenVPN managed active directory to increase security level. When you enable 2FA, your users enter their username and password (first factor) as usual, and they have to enter an authentication code (the second factor) which will share on your virtual or hardware 2FA solution.
miniOrange 2FA for VPN Login
miniOrange accomplishes this by acting as a RADIUS server, that accepts the username/password of the user entered as a RADIUS request, validates the user against the user store as Active Directory ( AD ), prompts him for the 2-factor authentication and either grants/revokes access based on the input by the user.
Types of 2FA Authentication with RADIUS
The 2-factor authentication can be of two types depending on the VPN clients.
In VPN Clients that support RADIUS Challenge :
- VPN Clients that support RADIUS Challenge.
- VPN Clients that do not support RADIUS Challenge.
- First step is user's username & password get validated against the credentials stored in Active Directory and 2nd request sends a success response, this request is sent to validate the 2-factor authentication of the user, on successful authentication user is granted access to the application.
- Authentication methods : All Authentication methods supported by miniOrange. Software Token, Push Notification, OTP over Email to name a few.
- RADIUS Clients that support this authentication type:
-> Palo Alto
-> Pulse Secure Connect Secure SSL
Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for your OpenVPN managed active directory to increase security level
Guidelines to configure RADIUS authentication in OpenVPN with miniOrange.
Step 1: Add the Radius Client in miniOrange
- Login into the Admin Dashboard..
- Click on Apps >> Manage Apps.
- Click on Configure Apps.
- Select Radius tab and select Radius Client.
- Configure details below to add Radius Client.
|| OpenVPN or any other name for your reference
|| IP address of OpenVPN server which will send Radius authentication request
||Security key (Keep this with you, you will need to configure same in OpenVPN)
- Click on Save.
Step 2: Enable 2 factor authentication
- Click on Policies tab >> App Authentication Policy.
- Click on Add Policy tab.
- In Step 1 Select “OpenVPN” in Application section.
- In Step 2 Select “DEFAULT” in Group Name and enter Policy name as “OpenVPN” add policy then Select First factor as “PASSWORD”.
- Enable Second factor then click on Save.
Step 3: Setup LDAP authentication ( OPTIONAL)
- Select User Stores then click on Add User Store.
- Select “AD/LDAP” tab and configure it with your LDAP settings.
||Active Directory or your directory type
|LDAP Server URL
||Your AD server URL or IP address
|Bind Account DN
||Click on AD FS>>Domain>>respective Users>> Properties>>Attribute Editor then copy the value of distinguishedName & paste it against Bind Account DN.
||Search Base is a user search location. It means where to search for a user.Example: cn=users,dc=miniorange,dc=com
||If you want to add extra conditions on user search you can add it in Search Filter. Example:(&(objectClass=*)(mail=?))(&(objectClass=*)(samaccountname=?))
- Enable “Active LDAP” and “Sync user in miniOrange” option and click on save.
- Click on Test Configuration to check whether your LDAP configuration details are right and LDAP server is reachable. It will ask for test username & password from LDAP directory.
- After this, it will show you the list of User stores. Click on “ Make Default “.
Step 4: miniOrange 2FA for OpenVPN Login
- Connect to OpenVPN by entering the hostname of the server.
- Enter your AD username & password and click on Connect.
- Now, you are prompted for the 2-factor authentication code. Enter the code and click on Continue.
- After successful validation, you are connected.
For Further Details:
Two Factor authentication
What is Open VPN ?
We offer Security Solutions of Single Sign-On, Two Factor Authentication, Fraud Prevention and much more.
Please call us at +1978 658 9387 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org